Already in the time of the great pioneer, Fr Constant Lievens, sj, (approx. 1890) delegates from Surguja went 200 kms on foot to Ranchi and begged to be instructed, catechized and begged to get catechists and to be visited by a Priest regularly. But the feudal rulers persecuted those who had been instructed and neither catechists nor a Priest could be sent.
In the beginning of 1948 the feudal states merged into India and the few Catholics who had settled in Surguja were joined by many who came from Jashpur and Barway in search of land, jobs and livelihood. Missionaries came to visit these settlers. From Kanjia in Bihar, Jodhpur was started in 1947. Four other mission stations: Ambika, Banea, Ratasili and Shantipara (Basen) were established in 1952. As the Independence dawned Christianity saw the light brighter and brighter.
The Diocese of Ambikapur was erected on December 14, 1977 by dismemberment form Raigarh-Ambikapur diocese. The diocese is co-extensive with the present civil districts of Surguja and Korea in the northern part of the State of Chhattisgarh.
|Area||22,337 sq. kms|
|Languages||Hindi, English, Surgujia|